Admissions: International Students
- A bachelor’s degree in a science, technology, engineering, mathematics related field.*
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale, or equivalent, is desired. Applicants with grades on a scale other than 4.0, will be evaluated based on standards for the country of their degree.
- iBT Scores Breakdown: Writing (23), Listening (23), Reading (25), Speaking (28, 23 acceptable if have 2 years’ work experience in supervisory or management positions in the U.S.) OR IELTS Score: Minimum score of 7.5 required.
- Scores must be less than 2 years old
- Applicants not meeting the program TOEFL (or IELTS) requirements may be eligible for conditional admission.
- GRE scores are not required for admission.
*If you have a three-year degree versus a four-year degree, your transcript will be reviewed to determine whether you have met the necessary prerequisites for the program. Eligibility for admission can only be determined upon receipt of a complete application.
All international applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to allow sufficient time to receive all the necessary documents and to process and assess the application.
International applications are accepted for the Fall and Spring semester. We encourage all international applicants to send in their documents at least six months prior to the start of the semester applying to.
- Apply online
- Submit your statement of goals as an attachment in the “Academic Goals and Research Interests” section
- Insert names of references into “References” section (Note: we only require two. Put N/A in third line)
- Submit resume as an attachment
- Complete residency information to be reviewed for in-state tuition rates
- Request official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent to UMBC Graduate School, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 or emailed to email@example.com.
- Request for test scores to be sent by ETS to UMBC (code 5835)
All documents should be mailed to:
UMBC Graduate School, MPS: Technical Management
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250 U.S.A.
Your application packet should include the following documents:
- Completed degree-seeking application (including residency form). Use program code CYBR and concentration code (Refer to Master's Admission page for list of codes).
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Official transcript(s) from each college & university attended
- TOEFL scores forwarded to UMBC by ETS - UMBC’s institutional code is 5835
- Application fee ($50 if apply online / $70 if apply by mail)
- If paying by check, the check must be drawn on a bank with a U.S. location. The check should be payable to UMBC.
Please note: All international students are required to submit TOEFL scores unless you attended a university in an English-speaking country or hold an undergraduate degree from a U.S. institution. IELTS score are accepted in substitution for TOEFL scores.
Obtaining Immigration Documents
If you intend to apply for an F-1 visa and require an I-20 from UMBC, please include the following additional documents with your application.
- Copy of valid passport
- Certified bank statement or bank verification letter from financial sponsor showing a minimum of $29,000 (USD) in available funds.
- Letter from financial sponsor stating they will be responsible for all living expenses and school-related expenses for the duration of your stay at UMBC.
Send these documents after receipt admission acceptance. Note: I-20 is processed after formal acceptance into the program.
All immigration related questions should be addressed to International Education Services by phone at (410) 455-2624 or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presently, the program is not offering any financial aid or graduate assistantships.